If you want to apply for scholarships please fill up the form below (both PhD students and Postdocs can apply).
Please be aware that these scholarships are in the form of tuition fee waivers only, they do not cover traveling and lodging.
You need to register for the course before applying for the scholarship (at the course webpage). If you are applying for a scholarship you will not be expected to pay the course, and if you do not get granted you can always withdraw.
- Funding for their PhD. Students with no funding to develop their PhD will receive the maximum 4 points. Part-time research grants or contracts (teaching assistantships) receive 2 points. Students with full financial support to develop their PhD provided by their university or an external institution / agency will receive 0 points. The student’s PhD organization or academic advisor must certify the situation. 4 point scale.
- Belonging to developing countries. 1 point.
- A short project description (maximum 300 words) related to the course or workshop topic. 5 point scale.
ENMTOOLS: A HANDS-ON WORKSHOP
August 10th-12th, 2020
In this workshop students will be introduced to the ENMTools R package, which is a package for constructing niche and distribution models and using them to test hypotheses about patterns of niche evolution. ENMTools contains a streamlined workflow for making, visualizing, and projecting models, as well as new methods for evaluating model predictions, statistical significance, and biases in the model construction and projection process.
It also implements Monte Carlo tests addressing many fundamental questions regarding niche evolution, such as:
- Are two species’ environmental associations identical?
- Are two species’ environmental associations more or less similar than expected based on the available habitat in their ranges?
- Are biogeographic boundaries determined by environmental gradients?
- What are the patterns of niche evolution across clades?
Graduate or postgraduate degree in any Biosciences discipline. All participants must have a personal computer (Windows, Macintosh), with webcam if possible, headphones, and a good internet connection.
This is an advanced course intended for students who are already familiar with ENM/SDM theory and are used to working in R.
This course will be delivered online.
Please check the schedule for the live online part, and be aware that it is GMT+1.
August 10th-12th, 2020
COURSE LENGTH & ECTS
15 hours online.
Places are limited to 14 participants and will be occupied by strict registration order.
Participants who have completed the course will receive a certificate at the end of it.
Before the course (online tutorials)
- Installing packages
- Spatial data in R
- Point data, vector data, and raster data
- GBIF, the Global Biodiversity Information Facility
- Building ENMTools species objects
- ENMs with ENMTools
- Random forest
- Boosted regression trees
- Poisson point process models
- Projecting models across space and time
- Model selection overview
- Discrimination metrics (geographic space)
- Discrimination metrics (environment space)
- Calibration metrics
- Monte Carlo methods: conceptual overview
- Raes and ter Steege and Bohl et al. methods for estimating ENM significance
- Warren et al. (in review) method for measuring methodological bias
- Measuring niche breadth on ENMs
- Measuring niche overlap on ENMs
- Identity tests
- Background tests
- Rangebreak tests
- Ecospat tests via ENMTools
- Pairwise MOSES tests for taxonomic scale
- Age-range correlation
- Age-overlap correlation
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until July 31st, 2020):
- 240 € *(192 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after July 31st, 2020):
- 285 € *(228 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- This includes course material (VAT included).
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.
You can check the list of Ambassador Institutions. If you want your institution to become a Transmitting Science Ambassador please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday to Wednesday (GMT+1):
- 9:00 to 12:00 online live lessons
The rest of the time will be taught with recorded classes, to watch before the course and between the live sessions.
Discounts are not cumulative and apply only on the Course Fee. We offer the possibility of paying in two instalments (contact the course coordinator).
5 % Discount
20 % Discount
40 % Discount